-->

Sunday, May 14, 2006

but I can't stop listening

Kings of Convenience: "Homesick"









It's the season of endings. Strange, because Spring is rebirth, beginnings--but we are graduate students, living out the very end of our priveleged time at the University. We are as secretive and clannish as girls in Avonlea or Amherst a century ago.

As I go away from places, I discover how much I love them. The perfect circle of light from a hanging lamp, the slick cobblestones, the sound and smell of the canal. I know that I will miss these women, even miss the way I feel like an outsider sometimes. It is all tied to this small and private existence, these three years in close quarters. Tied to each other by The Tan Form and complaints about teaching assignments. It won't come again.


So I'll lose some sales, and my boss won't be happy/ But there's only one thing on my mind/ Searching boxes underneath the counter/ On the chance that on a tape I'd find/ A song for/ Someone who needs somewhere/ To long for

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home