-->

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

who will be the one forevermore?

Ben Folds Five: "Annie Waits"








Some songs are too private, still too close to the bone to send out into the ether.

I remember the long turn off the highway, passing the strip malls, the liquor stores, the university, until at last there was the curve, down the hill, under the old bridge, and then we were almost home. 202 East Main Street, apartment 2, wasn't it? Shame I can't remember that.

I can't send some stranger the feeling of the headlights cresting the hill just as that clear tenor voice sang headlights crest the hill/ who will be the one forevermore? The song sticks in my tenderest marrow. That would mean electricity, the hundred nights I thought my thoughts eastward. All the forty-dollar roundtrips. Your hands on the wheel, you looking over at me, the way you scrunch up your nose to be silly. None of that can go, so the song stays off the cd I'm making for a stranger (via this).

Headlights crest the hill/ who will be the one forevermore?/ Annie, I could be/ if we're both still lonely when we're old.

Image from here.

2 Comments:

Blogger lisa solomon said...

there should ALWAYS be special songs....:) your partner will get a lovely CD i am sure!!

5:45 PM  
Blogger eireann said...

it will be a very good cd... I love making mix cds. But I hit that song and thought, well, nope. Not that one quite yet. :)

You understand.

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home